Gingerbread Man Play Dough
- 2 cup of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/2 Cups of Boiling Water
- And different spices including ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon
- Have the children mix the first 4 ingredients on the list above.
- Remove the mixture the children mixed and add boiling water, mix and let cool.
- Return to children, give a section to each child.
- Let children add ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon to their own play dough.
- Provide cookie cutters, rolling pins, buttons, other craft decorations.
- Have fun!
Make a Gingerbread House
No-Bake Gingerbread House
- 3 Butter Cookies ( Balsen or Leipniz)
- Waffle cookies
- Gummy bears, and gum drops
- Powdered sugar icing
- Mix up a THICK patch on powdered sugar icing
- Cut waffle cookies into cubes, stick a waffle cookie cube to the middle of a butter cookie
- Add icing to the long edges of the 3 butter cookies and stick together
- Let dry. VERY IMPORTANT! If you continue to decorate the cookies will slide and its a mess.
- Decorate! Go crazy.
Make Gingerbread Men
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sour cream
5 cups flour
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 cup molasses
grated rind of orange (or purchase the container in the spice aisle)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
Mix all ingredients. Chill overnight.
1. Roll out 1/8″ to 1/4″ thickness on lightly floured cloth covered surface.
2. Use cookie cutters and add add red hots.
3. Refrigerate again for about 10 minutes (helps them keep their shape).
4. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
Makes 5 dozen.
Have the children help with mixing, rolling, and cutting out cookies. Bake and have the children decorate.
This is a great idea for a party with caregivers and loved ones to celebrate ‘Gingerbread Men around the World’ unit!
Gingerbread Man Letter Matching Game
Make your own or download from:
Children can pick a gingerbread man card, and say the name of the letter on the card. Then color the gingerbread man on the recording sheet with that letter on it. Also included in a blank gingerbread man recording sheet so students can write the letters when they pick a letter card.
Gingerbread Man Matching Run
Print out 26 gingerbread men and write a letter on each one. Spread all the gingerbread letter around outside or in a gym. Have a child run around a find a letter of teacher’s choice or first letter of name, etc. Then have another child go on the ‘gingerbread man run’.
Gingerbread Man Pattern Math
Smart board and Computer Games
Counting, Matching, and Ordering : http://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/gingerbread-man-game
Starfall Make a Gingerbread Man: http://www.starfall.com/n/holiday/gingerbread/load.htm?f&n=main